Tuesday, February 17, 2009


October 2004

This would be the first time the Lord called upon me to intercede in prayer involving a stranger. I have dreamed dreams and burdened for friends, family, and church members but never have I had an experience as this one.
My husband was away for military training for two months. This October, in the middle of the night, I felt something brush against me as if the wind had swept over me. It caused me to wake up. I opened my eyes and then fell back asleep. It brushed again. I sat straight up in my bed and paused quietly. Amidst the silence, the beat of my heart filled the air and fear surrounded me. I pressed my ears against the night trying to hear any sound at all. I began to pray for my children. I prayed that God would keep them safe.

“What is it?” I asked the Lord. Something was happening. I knew something was stirring. I could feel it in my heart as well as in the air. Suddenly as if someone had turned on the television a man’s face appeared before my eyes. The stranger looked as if he were in his late fifties. His hair was of a salt and pepper color and cut into a long shag. I could see that he was sitting in either a bus station, train station, or an airport. He sat in one of the rows of chairs.

I watched as if I were taking in a movie. At first his back was towards me and then slowly he turned and looked at me. His eyes were glazed over and evil shot out. I knew this man - whoever he was - was evil. I immediately felt danger from him. I started to weep and fall to my face. I became so frightened at this point because I truly did not understand what was happening to me. I prayed against whatever I was seeing or was happening.
After praying for a while, the Lord allowed me to rest and so I fell back asleep.

The next day, I had a meeting at the church until noon. When I arrived back home at noon, I told my son that I was going to lie down a bit and get some rest.

The minute I closed my eyes, the man’s face appeared again. I rose up, jumped out of bed, and fell to the floor on my knees. "I accept this assignment Lord - though I do not understand it." I had been reading Beyond the Veil by Alice Smith. She shares that when God calls upon us to intercede for another He gives us a choice to accept the assignment or not. We can choose to turn away from those promptings from the Lord, those calls for intercession, and those whispers. We can choose to disregard those moments or we can say, "Here I am Lord."
Though I was truly afraid because of my lack of understanding, I chose to say - "I accept the assignment Lord." As soon as I said that, the vision became clearer.

Vision

I began to pray in my prayer language. The Holy Spirit took over and like a movie I watched the vision unfold before my eyes.

The man was in an airport. He began walking with a briefcase in hand towards one of the gates to board. Others were boarding as well. I could see two flight attendants taking the tickets. As the man approached the gate, I cried out in my own voice, “Don’t let him get on!” I seem to understand in my spirit that this man was dangerous and that he did not need to get on that plane.

I saw the man approach the attendants. My heart hurt, my stomach heaved, and tears fell to the floor. The two attendants stopped the man and took his ticket. I saw them speaking with him. I saw the attendants telling him that he could not board. I prayed hard. My body shook and hurt deeply as the scene unfolded.

The man stepped out as if to go around them and try to board anyway. “No!,” I shouted in my spirit. The male flight attendant held his arm out to stop the stranger while the other female attendant closed the boarding gate.

The man was not allowed to board the plane. Disgusted and angry, he picked up his briefcase walked away - looking back once at the attendants that stopped him.

Suddenly it was done and like a water faucet being turned off my tears stopped that abruptly, I took in a deep deep breath, and then sat up from the prayer. I had heard intercessors say that an intercessor must learn to leave the task at the alter. It was all so new to me that I had no idea how to do that. I became so upset about what had just happened that I started crying all over again. I could not stop crying. I cried the rest of the afternoon. I needed help. I needed someone to talk to. I needed to understand if this was normal. I felt as if I were losing my mind.

I have no idea if all of that was going on somewhere at that very moment, or if it was something that was going to happen in the future. Either way, God did not want that man to get on that plane. I will never ever forget his face or those dark piercing eyes.

I am amazed that God can take and use simple people to intercede on His behalf and that we can see through the eyes of the Lord and become a vessel for His ministry and work. I will continue to learn and grow in this area. Use me Lord.

No comments: