Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spiritual Discernment

April 17, 2005,

This particular spring morning the sun blazed a glorious glow as people gathered to worship. The early service went well and people seemed to lift their hearts to the Lord.

After the second service of worship, I sat in one of my regular seats toward the front. I felt tired but good. The pastor stepped up to preach and gave it a great start. Suddenly, I felt something brush past me. It is difficult to explain. It felt as if something were flying past me at a high speed. I could feel a brush of wind. It is an odd feeling – as if someone were running very fast and almost brushed against me. I could feel the movement yet there was no one visible.

After the brush, I became a little anxious. That is what I call it, but it is a stirring in my stomach as if something were wrong. My heart began to beat faster and I knew that God was calling me to pray.

I remember saying to myself, “Lord, I can pray but to fall upon my face and weep as usual is not a good time right now.” I knew that the sermon would end soon and I would need to lead our invitation song.

I could not sit still, I had to rise and go to the back. I called upon a friend who is strong in prayer. “Something is wrong,” I told him. “I feel as if something is happening.” The tears wanted to flow but I suppressed them.

“Well let us pray now,” He said as we bowed our heads in the kitchen. I took in slow breaths as if to calm my body and spirit, but God was calling me to pray. I needed to pray - there was a spiritual stirring.

As my friend headed back to share with the prayer team, I took my seat and continued to feel overwhelmed with the presence of God and the need to pray. I closed my eyes and the Holy Spirit began to pray through me. Under my breath, I began to pray in my prayer language. My body shook as my stomach continued to knot up. I don't think anyone at church noticed what I was doing.

There with my eyes closed I began to see a face. I knew this face. It was a face familiar at church. As I continued to pray, I saw the young teen in the vision God was revealing to me. I did not know his name. He was sitting in one of the burgundy chairs in our sanctuary. He was at church that day actually sitting across from me the very moment I felt the brush of something.

In the vision, I saw a black figure grabbing at him. The young teen would turn to the side as if to escape its hold but never left his seat. The figure kept picking and tugging. It appeared as if the young teen were being pestered. Every time the figure grabbed at the young teen the young teen would turn or move as if trying to get away from it. I felt as if I were praying against that hold right then. In fact, I felt strongly about having someone pray over this young man and the hold that he was struggling with, but at that moment we were entering into the alter call and I needed to get up and lead the music. I know I need to do what the Lord calls me to do no matter what it requires - I should have prayed over him anyway.

I felt it strange, now that I look back on the vision that day, that in the vision the young teen did not get up and leave or move away from the dark figure that was picking at him. Perhaps he was struggling with something or perhaps God was revealing to me that he was facing bullying? Maybe he was being tempted. Whatever it was I now can go back and pray for him. I can pray that he would be released from the dark figure and that God would provide the young teen with great strength to move away from that hold. I can pray that the pestering will end and that God would surround him with Godly friends who are strong in the Lord.

No comments: