Saturday, April 11, 2009

Understanding Discernment

Sometimes our discernment's do not come easily nor are they at times very refreshing or reassuring. What do you do when you enter the presence of others and get the feeling something is wrong? How does one handle discerning that their may be an issue - - and it involve you?

Hummmm - that is such a tough place to be. I know that with myself, I need to evaluate whether or not my insecurities are kicking in. In the past I think I may have had some of that going on. Lately I have been able to pick up on things that seem to seep through from other people. The Lord's presence seems to fall and settle and in the stillness of the moment - something penetrates the air leaving an unsettling feeling.

I don't always know what to do with that. I usually stop and silently ask the Lord what is going on. Sometimes I can discern exactly what is happening while other times I am left with, "Something is wrong. Something is really wrong." - Not fully understanding everything. There are those friends I have found confidence in and am able to say to my friends, "Something is wrong - what is going on?" The Lord provides the moment and moves - tears swell, feelings unfold, and hearts are emptied. Prayer comes forth from it all and God does a mighty work. But what happens when you discern the "something is wrong" might have to do with you?

I recently found myself in the presence of an awkward moment; a feeling of something being wrong. I had no idea what that was - only that it happened in the presence of a close friend who radiated guilt. I looked deep in her eyes and wanted to say, "What is going on?" But the Lord kept me silent. I listened, I watched, and saw her fake demeanor come forth. I knew this person well enough to tell that she was not herself and definitely hiding something from me. I guess the heartache of it all was that I seemed to understand that it had something to do with me. I settled in that moment feeling as if she had been gossiping about me. I know - I can't explain it - and it is not a feeling I get very often. So - the question is, "What does anyone do with that discernment?"

I stepped away somewhat hurt and with an understanding that in my flesh I wanted to rise up and say something - but the spirit said, "No." So I will pray as God calls me to and wait upon Him to handle the situation. The Lord always knows better and He is always gracious enough to handle anything stirring.

No comments: